Dressing appropriately for the office is essential to have a successful career. However, dressing up for the office has never been an easy task for majority of the working people. Most individuals want to look stylish, yet carry an air of professionalism with them, agrees Rocky S, a well known fashion designer in India.
In an exclusive interview with medimange.com the young and creative trend setter Rocky S talks about corporate wear, dressing essentials, style for different body types and beyond…
1. Dressing up is always considered to be for women but men are also active participants in their own race.
Dressing up rightly is always important for both. Men are equally getting fashion conscious and always want to be smartly dressed up whether if it’s getting dress up for a corporate meeting, casual diner or any particular occasion.
2. What are the dressing essentials that every man and woman should have in their wardrobe?
For men: Blue Denim, Grey or Navy suit, Black Belt, good pair of shoe, White shirt
For women: Blue Denim, Crisp White shirt, Little Black Dress, Black Pumps, Tan leather bag
3. What is your advice on dressing style for different body types?
When it comes to work wear, you should ideally stay away from anything that’s extremely figure hugging. But that doesn’t mean you don’t pay attention to the cut. Make sure that it fits well around the waist and the shoulders and doesn’t hang loose or look slouchy.
4. The role of footwear and accessories like bag, belts etc while dressing for the office – your comment
As far as formal occasions go, you don’t really need to jazz it up with jewelry. So it’s wise if you stick to the traditional combination of diamond studs, solitaires or hoops that could go with every formal garment you own. One of the tricks of dressing impeccably is matching your shoes with your belt. And the universal color to do that would be black
5. What type of perfume or cologne should one use while dressing for the office?
When it comes to wearing perfume at work, it's wise to tread carefully. It’s important to choose a light scent that won't annoy or overpower your co-workers. Body sprays often work better than perfumes because they fade nicely on your drive to work if you overdo it a little. You could douse your body in most of these before leaving, and still only have a lingering soft scent when you got to work.
6. Business dress code is more about western outfits, how can women dress in traditional Indian attire for the meeting and still look professional?
You can wear a nice indo western tunic in pastel light embroidered fabrics, or like a sleeveless jersey tunic teamed with a vest on it or like an abstract bright printed not very eye catching puff sleeve or 3/4th sleeve tunic teamed with a smart chudidar.
7. Do’s and Don’ts for weekend dressings in the office.
Dos: Keep it simple and chic. Minimal accessories teamed with simple easy going comfortable look can never go wrong. Women can wear Dressy pants and a blouse, sleek jersey knits and skirts and tops, Denim, T-shirts and flip-flops -- all '90s phenoms – are smart business casuals Men can wear a casual shirt or polo t-shirt with decent blue denim and basic converse or shoes.
Too sexy: see-through lace, miniskirts, spaghetti straps, sheer sundresses, strappy stiletto sandals. Too casual: jeans, shorts, T-shirts, hats, sneakers. Too sloppy: wrinkled clothing, too many layers, baggy-fit clothing.
8. How should an individual dress for a professional job interview or presentation?
- Necktie should be silk with a conservative pattern
- Dark shoes (black lace-ups are best)
- Get a haircut; short hair always fares best in interviews
- No rings other than wedding ring or college ring
- No earrings (if you normally wear one, take it out)
- Always wear a suit with a jacket; no dresses
- Shoes with conservative heels
- Conservative hosiery at or near skin color
- No purses, small or large; carry a briefcase instead
- Minimal use of makeup (it should not be too noticeable)
- No more than one ring on each hand
9. What fabrics should generally be used for office attire?
One of the worst mistakes that anyone can make when it comes to formals is choosing material that is sub standard. Pay rigorous attention to the quality of material that you’re intending to stitch your pant/skirt suit out of because after a few wears, it is this that will define how well/badly it fits.
10. What is the latest trend in corporate wear in India?
Everybody loves to look stylish, be it in office or anywhere else. Nevertheless, whenever the question of dressing up for office comes, nobody craves for too much of formal. Modern people are looking forward to this look.
If you are worried about the perfect work wear for the day, try a two or three piece suit to give a smart and dignified look to your personality. This type of suit is generally single-toned but for this special occasion at your work place try to add a twist. Black is one of the most popular color for office suits and if you can blend royal blue with black, it can turn out to be a very elegant and rich combination.