Habits around the house: Good habits around the house will shape the way your child behaves as an adult. If your child always finds everything he needs at his beck and call, he will not he make efforts and do something on his own. If he finds that you take his back answers at home, he will try the same at school.
- Don’t pick up after your child- if he keeps his clothes around the house, he should keep them in place by himself.
- Let him do his chores himself- small things like making his own bed, keeping his own plate and filling his own school bag will make him independent.
- Don’t encourage negative behavior- Sometimes we find ourselves giving in to their tantrums and actually rewarding them when they make ‘scenes’. Don’t yell but make it clear that this kind of behavior is not acceptable.
Manners: You must insist on good manners from your children no matter how much outdated you sound. You must insist on ‘thank you’ and ‘sorry’ as much as you insist on good grades.
Some good manners that go a long way:
- It is impolite to leave the dinner table when others are still eating.
- It is rude to point.
- It is not ok to back answer to elders.
- Sharing food, toys and materials with friends.
Environment Consciousness: It is the time of global warming and severe climate implications for all of us. In these times, you have to make sure that you make him aware of the ways he can make a difference.
Tell them that by doing these they are doing something about saving the environment:
These are some of the habits that once inculcated; remain for life with your kids. These habits will be the factors that make them good adults. Insist on these habits when young when these will be imprinted on their minds.