Your eyes tell how you are feeling. They communicate if you are sad, happy, bored to death, worried and tired. But what if no matter how you are feeling, you look tired and weary. No, your eyes are not to blame; it is the dark circles that loom on your face that makes you look bad.
Here are some of the common causes of the dark circles
- Lack of Sleep: The exact relation of sleep and dark circles is unknown but it is said that since the skin beneath the eyes is very sensitive, with little sleep deprivation, the skin darkens and becomes puffy.
- Hormonal changes: Some times during menstruation, the skin of the face becomes pale and causes the veins near the eyes to stand out. Even menopause can cause dark circles in some women.
- Sun burn: Since the area of the skin near the eyes is extra sensitive, if left unprotected it quickly darkens.
- Aging: Due to aging, skin becomes thinner and more sensitive. Also the area near the eyes sags and loses fat that can give rise to dark circles.
- Fluid retention: When there is excessive water in the body, the blood vessels near the eyes get dilated and contribute to appearance of dark circles.
- Other reasons: Some of the other reasons are hereditary, poor diet, dehydration, deficiency of iron and certain bone structures that cause shadows beneath the eyes.
Some tips that you can try at home
Cool as a Cucumber: The most trusted method to get rid of the dark circles is by placing cucumber pieces on your eyes for 15 minutes after a tiring day of work. They will refresh you as well as hydrate the area beneath the eyes and lessen the appearance of dark circles. Applying cucumber juice will also help reduce puffiness of the eyes.
Almond oil: Gently apply almond oil to your eyes for 10 minutes for two to three weeks. Almond oil will provide that much needed moisture to the skin, lighten the color and improve the circulation near the eyes. Be consistent for best effects.
Shades up: Help your eyes by wearing sunglasses whenever venturing out in the sun. Also make sure the sun glasses have wider frame that protects the skin near the eyes too. Also don’t forget to apply sunscreen with at least SPF 15 on all areas exposed as well as around the eyes.
Tea bags for the eye bags: Yes, you can use the used tea bags or new ones to fight the dark circles. Tea contains anti oxidant properties and when tea bags frozen overnight are applied to the skin, it cools the eyes and nourishes the skin.
Leave it to mint: Take 12-15 mint leaves and grind them to paste. Apply this paste under your skin for 15 minutes for two weeks. Mint leaves are so effective that adding them to your diet also helps in reducing dark circles.
Rose water: You can also dip cotton balls in rose water and then apply them to the area beneath the eyes.
Make up tips
When the party is tonight, the dark circles are the look spoilers. Too late to try the remedies, here are some make up tips to mask those ugly circles around those gorgeous eyes.
Foundation: Apply foundation on your face. This way your complexion will be evened out and you will know where exactly to apply the concealer.
Concealers: Choose a concealer that is one shade lighter than your tone. Move your finger gently from the corner of the eye to outside. Spread it evenly on the surface.
Powder: Apply a neutral colored powder on your face to finish it off.
Long term solutions
Mostly, dark circles are tell-tale signs of the bad habits that we continue to live with. If we change our habits, we would have no dark circkes to hide. Here are some of the habits you can adopt:
- Drink 8 glasses of water every day.
- Eat iron rich foods like fish, eggs, beans and leafy green vegetables, like spinach and lettuce.
- Also eat foods rich in vitamin K like cauliflower, cabbage, yogurt, milk and foods rich in Vitamin E like peanut, walnut and eggs.
- Avoid caffeine which also is known to cause dark circles.
Better sleep: Sleeping on time and getting good and proper amount of sleep per day is the key to avoid dark circles in the long run.
With these tips, we are sure you will have no problem in getting rid of the ugly circles beneath your eyes and letting your eyes speak!