Sherry was all dressed up, with her dress, make up, hairstyle all in place, but there was just one thing missing, her lips looked dry and scaly and this was that one thing that could spoil her entire look that evening. What could she do? Probably, she had two options: one, to apply a gloss, and the other to apply a lipstick. However, though she tried both, the gloss worked for sometime only to fade away in minutes and the new expensive lipstick that she bought to hide the sorry state of her lips, actually showed the scaly lips all the more prominently.
Though Sherry somehow managed to get away with her lips that evening, she took a vow to care for her lips with the same zest and zeal she took for her hair, and face henceforth!
So what do your lips say? Do they talk good health or do they cry for attention?
Healthy, pink and soft lips can actually make or mar your looks. It’s like chapped, rough and scaly lips can be a big put off while pink, healthy and supple lips bring confidence, glow and add to your natural beauty. Not only this, dry and chapped lips also indicate the deficiency of water and oily substances in your diet while supple and pink lips determine a fit lifestyle. All the more, sexy luscious lips can be the perfect mood lifters on that exclusive date!
But then, what exactly is it that we do? Do we go to an infamous 'Lip spa' (if there is one in the first place!!)? Are there expensive therapies or treatments available?
Well, all you can do is to follow certain essential fundas:
- Never ever lick your lips, to prevent them from dryness and chapping. Licking your lips will only make things worse. They would in turn get more dry and would keep on chapping continuously.
- External application like gloss and lip balms work, but only to a limited extent. Over application can actually sometimes darken your lips and make them much more dry and scaly.
- Your lips are a reflection of the diet you consume. Certain essential foods including green leafy vegetables and fruits will give your lips a natural glow and would also keep them healthy.
- Drink plenty of water. Though this may seem cliched, you can't ignore it!
- Those who are low on vitamins, must Consume multi vitamin tablets daily for a month.
- Brushing your lips: If you are in a hurry to go somewhere and your chapped lips are a big put off, simply move the bristles of your toothbrush in an up and down manner over your lips and say goodbye to all the dead skin that was bothering you.
- The way you wash your face with soap, now wash your lips with soap too. This is important as as our lips are under constant exposure to the pollution outside.
- Do not expose your lips to dry air, without application of a gloss or lip balm, as it may cause them to chap further.
- Use cosmetic products for your lips from a trustworthy brand. Petroleum based lip balms are addictive hence go in for the non-petroleum based lip balms.
- Ghee and castor oil are natural lip balms and are easily available in India(and other countries). Apply ghee on your lips before sleeping and you would wake up to softer lips in the morning.
- Avoid flavoured lip balms as it leads to more frequent lip licking in turn increasing chapping.
- Caffeine and alcohol are major dehydrators, so stay away!
Remember, along with your skin and hair, don’t ignore your lips that speak a million words!