Beauty now comes in just three steps, leading to a beautiful skin. And no, this is neither a fad nor a passing phase and not even a marketing gimmick. The three steps - Cleansing, toning and moisturizing are the most important steps that go a long way in enabling women of all ages, remain gorgeous all the time!
All you must do to ensure your skin glows and remains radiant all the time, is to start by giving yourself only about 20 minutes everyday - 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at bedtime.
We have listed the benefits of each step, involved in the CTM routine and also the home remedies that can be used
This forms the core of the CTM routine. A thorough and regular cleansing of the skin is essential to keep it off pollution, dirt and also the harmful chemicals present in makeup. As these are substances that can block the pores of your skin and can lead to an outbreak in spots. Never use normal soap; it is too harsh. Care must be taken not to be too frequent and too vigorous, as this can strip the skin off its natural oils, making dry skin even more dry and oily skin even more oily.
Cleansing for makeup: When you are about to clean your face of makeup, be extra careful, because if the makeup remains in your skin for too long, it can get allergic and too vigorous rubbing may do more harm to the skin. To remove makeup, generously apply cleansing cream to your entire face. Then remove the cream with the help of a moist cotton pad.
What to look for?
- Choose a cleanser that does not dry your skin, foams well, and provides hydration.
- Know your skin type, and then opt for the cleanser accordingly, for instance, if you have an oily and sensitive skin use a cleanser that is non-allergenic, controls oil production, medicated to fight acne.
Cleansers at home:
- It is essential to use homemade techniques at least twice a week, (preferably on weekends when you have ample of time) for cleansing your face. Dip a small cotton ball in 1 tbsp of un-boiled milk and gently clean your face in circular movements and upward strokes. You will see the dirt that accumulates on the cotton, once you have thoroughly cleaned your face. Wash with cold water.
- Another way is to mix Besan (Bengal gram), milk cream and turmeric into a paste and massage it all over the face. This removes the dead cells present on the outer layers of the skin, rejuvenates it and cleans it completely. Allow it to remain on for about 10 minutes, then massage and just splash on cold water to remove, as it will act as an astringent and close the pores.
This step essentially follows cleansing of the skin. A toner basically contains an astringent that tightens your skin, closes the pores and forms a layer of healthy skin cells, and protects the skin from harmful toxins, dirt and pollution. It also helps restore the skin’s natural PH balance. Check the label of the toner and choose the one that is best suited to your specific skin type and problem area.
What to look for?
- Avoid those toners that have alcohol as one of their main ingredients. This is because, alcohol destroys the collagen present under the surface of the skin.
Toners at home:
- Easy options for a toner at home, include, “Rose water that works best as a toner for all skin types”, says Dr Shweta Iyengar,
- “Also, a dilute solution of green tea, refrigerated and sprayed over the face, makes for a very effective toner. This is because green tea consists of antioxidants in abundance, and these antioxidants help in maintain a smooth and supple skin, says Dr Iyengar. For storage, a very dilute solution of green tea can be kept in the refrigerator.
Moisturizing the skin has always been important, as a well-moisturized skin is soft and supple, reflects a healthy glow and ages less quickly. Also, putting on a light moisturising cream makes it easier to apply makeup and reduces the risk of dragging the skin. A moisturizer works as a protective layer against the daily wear and tear caused by our lifestyle, it prevents drying of skin and helps maintain its elasticity - lack of which can cause further damage like wrinkles and fine lines.
Daily moisturizing helps in preventing water loss and in restoring the skin’s moisture and in enhancing its texture. It is advisable to moisturize each time you cleanse and tone, or specifically, once in the day and once in the night before going to sleep. Apply moisturizer using your finger tips. Don’t apply too much moisturizer, as this will just sit heavily, and prevent your skin from breathing and will lead to clogged pores and blackheads.
What to look for?
- Besides choosing a moisturizer as per your skin type, make sure the moisturizer you buy scores on all the three points – sun protection, skin hydration and skin softness. A moisturizer with SPF 15 can help against sun damage.
Though Aloe Vera and Honey are considered to be excellent natural moisturizers, by leading skin experts, it is recommended that you opt for branded moisturizers, rather than try and prepare them at home. Believes Dr Iyengar, “Moisturizers from reputed companies, available in the market, are much safer, and authentic options as these are well researched products, their ingredients have been tested under different proportions, and they are then packed so as to be effective among the masses”. In contrast to this, “when we think of preparing a moisturizer at home using various different things, we can go wrong in many ways, for instance, wrong proportion can lead to allergies and other skin problems”.
For best results, it is recommended that you stick with this 20 minute routine, for as long as you wish to show off a fresh, clean, and glowing skin that symbolizes good health and youth. Follow all three steps in the particular order as mentioned, every day and you will be all set with a rejuvenated skin that will make your friends green with envy!