Keratin hair therapy also known as Brazilian hair treatment is the latest trends in hair straightening today. Styles such as crimpling, or curls took a drastic plunge after flat iron usage caught on with the new generation.
Keratin treatment helps in de-frizzing and smoothing the texture of hair. They are semi permanent curl softening and hair smoothing chemical treatment.
Well Known Trichologist Meha Mhatre, from Tressez Trichology and advanced skin care centre explains “Our hair is made up of 80- 90 % protein called as keratin. Environment effects, fashion hazards make the hair dry and brittle. The outer layer of the hair opens up and the inner layers get damaged. Keratin therapy is a plant based therapy that seals the cuticle and makes the hair shinier, stronger and smoother.”
How is keratin treatment different from normal straightening?
Straightening uses harsh chemicals that make the hair dry and brittle. It breaks the bonds and damages the hair over a period of time while Keratin therapy is a plant based therapy that smoothens and straightens the hair. It offer a good texture while retaining the quality of the hair says Meha
Who should opt for Keratin hair treatment?
If your hair has frizz or lacks shine, or if you spend lots of time blow drying or ironing your hair to loosen your curls then you are an ideal candidate for keratin treatments. Keratin treatments work well on color treated or chemically treated hair. This treatment is equally beneficial for male as well as females looking for softer, silkier and straight hair.
However pregnant women, or those with sensitive skin, scalp problems, or women with very fine hair or have severely damaged hair from bleaching should not opt for this treatment. In simple word, if you have strong hair and can stand a flat iron, it can handle this treatment.
Are Keratin hair treatments safe?
Keratin is actually good for your hair, so keratin treatments could be good to use. However in the recent times there has been a lot of controversy because some of the kit formulas use formaldehyde as an active ingredient or some form of a derivative in it.
Studies suggest that formaldehyde used in the keratin treatment is a very harmful cancer causing agent. However some companies eliminated the chemical altogether and opted to reformulate their product line to contain chemical derivatives. It is important to understand that greater the content of the derivative or formaldehyde, the more effective the product tends to be.
In a recent research that was conducted many individuals complained of mild and short term inconveniences such as headaches, sore throat, running nose, irritated eyes etc after using this treatment. However Meha Mhatre has a different opinion. She says “Keratin therapy is 100 % safe, however it is suggested that while choosing the product always check for labels and select products that have formaldehyde levels below 2%.”
Benefits of Keratin treatment:
The difference in the hair texture after using the keratin treatment can be seen immediately.
- Unwanted curls, frizz or unmanageable hair is transformed into soft and silky tresses.
- The smooth texture of the hair reduces the need of blow drying or using other styling products.
- The hair becomes easily manageable which saves a lot of time and is ideal for the busy executives.
Disadvantages of Keratin treatment:
- Some of the Keratin treatment kits require a 3-4 day waiting period prior to being washable. This setting period is necessary to allow the products to fully cure and penetrate with the hair.
- To derive optimum results from this treatment it is recommended to use a particular type of shampoos and conditioners. Products that are required to maintain your hair are very costly in comparison to other cleansers.
- To maintain the good texture of the hair, one needs to avoid salt water and chlorinated pool water entirely after having a hair straightening treatment as chemical reaction with both types of water reduce the effects of the treatment.
Verdict: Keratin hair treatment: Is it safe?
The only way to guarantee good quality of your hair is by not exposing it to any chemical treatment. If you wish to straighten your hair with keratin hair treatment make sure that you check the label for the ingredients formaldehyde, aldehyde, formalin, or better still consult your trichologist with any concerns regarding the treatment.