One evening Kavita came back from office with neck pain and headache. She also, complained about the pain in eyes, face, forehead, nose, and congestion, distorted sense of smell, these all symptoms in one term are of Sinusitis. If you ask her how she felt, she described it in one word “terrible”.
Sinusitis is a medical condition where there is inflammation or swelling around the group of four paired air-filled spaces within the passages of the nose. Now you must be wondering air filled spaces? Yes, Sinuses are filled with healthy air but when they are blocked and filled with fluid, germs grow and cause infection. It is a very common condition and is generally caused by infection, germs, bacteria and collection of dust particles that cause irritation of the sinuses. In the rare case, it is caused by fungus.
Sinusitis may be classified as an acute sinus infection, sub-acute sinus infection, chronic sinus infection, infected sinusitis, and non-infectious sinusitis depending upon the duration!
Signs and Symptoms of sinusitis are as follows:
Facial tenderness or swelling/ Facial pressure and pain
Pain in areas such as the back of eyes, face, forehead, nose
Nasal Congestion, runny nose, loss of smell, itching in the nose
Thick discoloured mucus
Sinusitis is very common, with more than 10 million cases per year in India. If in case one has a fever or a sinus infection that lasts for weeks and keeps coming back; then it's time to pay a visit to a doctor. But it can be treated by herbal or natural way too. It is a self-diagnosable if you pay attention!
So before visiting a doctor, we can try and manage the condition at home by:
- Keeping house regularly clean, using humidifiers in rooms
- Breathing in steam vapours
- Covering face with a warm towel can ease the pressure off
- Use of nasal saline water is also good it can keep nasal passage moist
- Drinking lots of fluids is also important
- Drinking warm milk with turmeric and ginger act as good antibiotics
- Inhaling vapours of few drops of eucalyptus oil can provide some relief
- Use of garlic in daily cooking as garlic is also an anti-inflammatory herb and can help to drain the sinuses
- A good intake of vitamin C, D, zinc, and B-complex is very important for the body when fighting illness
- Crying makes it worse, so save those precious tears!
Over the period of time if it is coming back then it's time to visit a doctor.