The monsoon season is heartily welcomed by everyone after experiencing the scorching heat of the summer. Monsoon season is a time when the humidity levels in the atmosphere are high. The change in weather lowers our energy levels, reduces the immunity of our body and makes us susceptible to diseases.
Traditionally, in India rain signifies purification and the monsoon season is considered to be the best time to detoxify your body.
What is detoxification?
Detoxification means cleaning and nourishing the body from inside out. It helps in removing and eliminating toxins from the body and feeding the body with healthy nutrients. Timely detoxification of the body helps in protecting against diseases and renews the ability to maintain optimum health. Detoxification targets the five organs of our body, the skin, lungs, liver, the colon and kidney.
Why should you detox in monsoon?
In the monsoons, although the atmosphere is cool due to the rains the humidity levels are high. The increased humidity in nature makes the digestive power weak which in turn leads to various ailments.
A detox program can help the body’s natural cleansing process by improving blood circulation, promoting elimination through intestines, kidney and skin, stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body and refueling the body with healthy nutrients. Detoxification helps to address the needs of the individual cells.
Read here various ways to help your body detoxify.
1. Detox through diet
You can also clean the toxins from your body by following a proper diet. Dr Reshma Jagtap from Ayurlife Health Centre and Research Institute says, “Detoxifying your body through diet also known as Shaman mitigates the disease and its symptoms. It is the process of rebalancing the vitiated humors to normalcy by internal medicines and diet.”
- Include honey in your diet as it acts an antiseptic. You can add it to your breakfast cereal or to your cup of milk or just have a spoonful of honey as it promotes cleansing says Nutritionist Pooja.
- Eat vegetables that are seasoned in ghee and tempered with cumin seeds and asafetida to keep indigestion problems at bay.
- Increase your intake of herbs like ginger, garlic, tulsi and cinnamon as they provide warmth to the body.
- Drink more fluids like water, soups or anything that is hot.
- Include freshly cooked and easily digestible food like moong in your diet.
- Fasting is another method of detoxification. As our digestive system becomes weak in monsoon, we can reduce the load by fasting and thus prevent many digestive system related problems like acidity, indigestion, diarrhea, gastro etc.
In India various customs and traditions recommend abstaining from few things in the four months of monsoons like in Hinduism Shravan, in Jainism’s Paryushans and Muslim’s Ramzan falls in this season, says Dr Reshma.
2. Detox through skin
Detoxification through skin helps in preventing skin disorders, swollen joints, and allergies which are commonly seen during the monsoons Dr Reshma suggests detoxifying your body through panchakarma during the monsoons. Panchakarma, helps not only for the elimination of toxins but also for rejuvenation of the tissues and there by building your immunity.
- For home remedies, indiviudal with oily skin or combination skin can cleanse their skin with fuller earth (multani mitti) and sandalwood paste. Indiviudals with dry skin must avoid this pack as multani mitti may further dry your skin says Dermatologist Dr Krupa.
- “Monsoon tends to make your skin dry and hence it is important to follow the CTM (cleansing, toning and moisturizing) routine to keep your skin healthy. Choose your skin care product as per your skin type to derive maximum results” says Dr Krupa.
3. Other ways to Detox
To detox your body it is also important to:
- Maintain proper hygiene. As the humidity levels are high in monsoons, the chances of developing infections and skin problems also increases.
- Avoid sleeping during the daytime in the monsoon. According to Ayurveda, sleeping during the day during the monsoons, interferes with the digestive processes which may lead to stomach ailments.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and prolonged exposure to sun while the body is undergoing detoxification as they enhance sweat production in the body that obstructs the skin channels.
So go ahead and detox your body and celebrate the magic of monsoon season.