How important is a doctor’s advice for a patient? How important is a counselor’s advice to a student who is in between choosing careers? How important is the advice of a lawyer for a person fighting a life sentence? Well, in one word, all of them build lives. All of them are experts in their domain as a result of which we seek their advice. They have a tight grip on the subject they specialize in. Whether it be buying a property or a car, we tend to take expert advice from those who know the best in relation to the product. The same funda applies when buying health insurance for yourself and your family.
Health insurance is but a product which is packaged with benefits and risks and sold in the market. While there are a variety of such products from different companies that keep you involved, you need to know which one is the best as far as you are concerned and how does that one differ from the others.
It is here that the role of a health insurance advisor (agent or broker) comes into picture. He is the one who can give you an insight as to out of about 50 companies, which one best suits you after an exhaustive research and expertise, and experience in the field.
- Compare policies from different companies and explain to you as to which one is best suited to your needs
- Provide you with the proposal forms and all you would have to do would be to fill the form and give him the relevant documents along with the cheque. He will send the form to the company and will thereafter send the policy document to you.
- Directly contact the TPA (third party administrator) for and make things easier for you with reference to TPA card, settling of claims, reimbursements, etc.
- Keep a tab on your health policy renewal period and remind you in advance. Now set a Health Insurance Policy Renewal Reminder online.
- Explain the fine print and exclusions which are important but often ignored or skipped.
- Contact the health insurance company in case there are corrections in the policy etc.
- Keep you updated with latest schemes and benefit packages newly introduced by the company and if relevant to your needs
- Deal with the TPA and the insurance company on your behalf, keeping your interest as his prime interest.
- Be your one-point contact for everything in relation to the health policy.
But as he can influence your decisions pertaining to the health insurance package you buy and the benefits there of, he also plays a role in the hassles or comforts you are met with later.
Hence, ensure to:
- Take the initiative: You may be tempted to give in the management to your insurance advisor. Hold onto the baton, while you loosen the rope. Read the fine print yourself. Try to understand the basic rules of the game as to which diseases are excluded from the policy, what are pre-existing diseases etc.
- Ask, ask, and ask: Remember questions are never silly, answers may be. And if they are, you know what to do. It is when you ask questions, that you will get answers and you would know exactly where you are heading and what is it that you need to do next.
- Be in the loop: You need to be aware of the latest in the health insurance segment and accordingly talk to your health insurance advisor.
Once you have decided to get your health insured, why not entrust its responsibility to someone who has an authority over the subject and is proficient enough to take care of all that is needed….