Taking pegs with dad was fun, talking, chatting, playing cards, he has just been with you on peaceful weekends when you both got high and enjoyed time with each other. He was your best company after your friends. But things have changed now. But ever since dad has been advised by the family doc to reduce on his alcohol intake, those moments have been lost only to memories now!
As we age, our body’s capacity to take in everything we give it, decreases and we then need to limit on the various foods. The same goes for alcohol, beer, wine and all the favourite hard drinks that one otherwise enjoyed in the younger days.
Earlier there was no limit to how much you could drink; just the right time and the right people would be all that was needed. But now that age has taken over the baton in its hands, not only the number of pegs have reduced, even thinking about drinking has become difficult.
But then for oldies, with kids busy in their jobs and their respective families and friends not in touch, the only loyal companion that can help them kill boredom and loneliness is the bottle of the old wine.
Drinking too much, uncontrolled in old age is a common problem and if not taken proper care, it can have serious effects on the body. But what how alcohol can be harmful to your parent?
Listed below are the problems which they might face if proper care is not taken:
- Excessive consumption or regular intake of alcohol in old age may result in thinning of the lining of the stomach causing ulcers and bleeding. It may also cause liver cirrhosis.
- There are good chances that alcohol may disrupt the body metabolism as the capacity of the body to breakdown alcohol slows down with age. Excessive drinking increases the risk of coronary heart disease, hypertension and stroke.
- Over-drinking may also lead to falls and slips as the body is not in control.
- Drinking alcohol can also give rise to incontinence and gastro intestinal problems.
- In old age people generally face memory problems and if one drinks regularly it can lead to short memory loss.
- When drinking in a cool climate you may feel warm, but the body loses its heat and becomes cold which may increase the risk of hypothermia.
- Medications should never be mixed with alcohol as they can have serious side effects on the body. It is always better to consult doctors, if it is safe to take alcohol with the prescribed medicines.
- Drinking too much can increase the risk of erectile dysfunction in men and breast cancer in women.
- Drinking alcohol on a regular basis, will lead to loss of calcium which is needed to keep bones healthy. A regular alcohol intake makes bones weak, brittle and fragile by absorbing all the calcium from the body.
After knowing how this bad habit can damage your father’s health, it is very necessary to know the ways to manage this problem. Below given is a guide as to how you can help your parents tackle the “age-old” drinking habit:
Ways to manage excessive alcoholism in the old age
- Set Limits: You know your father drinks and can create health problems. You cannot stop him from drinking but you can surely set limits. Make sure they don’t drink more than one peg every day.
- Replace Alcoholic Stock: It is advisable to keep less alcoholic beverages at home. You can simple replace all the bottles with fresh juices which can help to reduce the intake.
- Make Pegs: Old habits die hard! Make it a point that you make the pegs for them. Also make a pact with him that he won’t drink when he is alone.
- Dilute: Remember that whenever you make pegs, dilute them. This will help him to get off that craving than completely not having it.
- Keep Kids away: Always make sure that your kids are at bay or in different room when an elderly is taking drinks. Also when you host parties at home avoid keeping alcoholic drinks.
- Hobbies & Interests: You might have put all efforts to explain him to give up his unhealthy habit but that is not very easy. Talk to him and ask him to indulge himself in new things to kill the loneliness and boredom. Let him spend more time with grandchildren, reading, meeting relatives and friends etc.
Managing such a habit is not very easy. It will show results hence, it is never too late to start. Make your parents opt healthy habits, which go long way to enjoy long life.